Sunday, March 15, 2009

MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM

I'm going through Midsummer Night's Dream for my seminar presentation coming up in 3-4weeks. Since I have not chosen my question, I thought it would be wise to do so only after reading the txt.

Now I remember why I'm a closet romantic. I've always been attached to the works of Shakespeare. I guess I'm a true blue literature girl? LOL!

As the words flew past, wouldn't it just be beautiful if pple still express their feelings so passionately like so?

A Conversation between Lysander & Hermia (When Hermia's dad forbids her to marry Lysander and to marry whoever he chooses)


Lysander:
Ay me! For aught that I could ever read, Could ever hear by tale or history. The course of true love never did run smooth; But either it was different in blood-

Hermia:
O Cross! Too high to be enthralled to low!

Lysander:
Or else misgraffed in respect of years-

Hermia:
O spite! Too old to be engaged to young!

Lysander:
Or else it stood upon the choice of friends-

Hermia:
O Hell! Too choose love by another's eyes!

Lysander:
Or, if there were a sympathy in choice, War, death, or sickness did lay seige to it, Making it momentany as a sound, Swift as shadow, short as any dream, brief as the lightning in the collied night, That, in a spleen, unfolds both heaven and earth, and ere a man hath power to say "Behold!" The jaws of darkness do devour it up: So quick bright things come to confusion

Hermia:
If then true lovers have been ever crossed, It stands as an edict in destiny: Then let us teach our trial patience, Because it is a cutomary cross, as due to love as thoughts and dreams and sighs, wishes and tears, poor Fancy's followers...


AND THE BEST PORTION GOES TO THE ENDING OF THE SCENE OF COURSE!


Hermia:
My good Lysander! I swear to thee, by Cupid's strongest bow, by his best arrow with the golden head, by the simplicity of Venus' doves, by that which knitteth souls and prospers loves, and by that fire which burned the Cathage Queen.

When the false Troyan under sail was seen, by all the vows that ever men have broke, in number more than ever women spoke, in that same place thou hast appointed me, tomorrow truly will I meet with thee.

IS THAT A PROMISE OR A PROMISE? LOL!


I truly think no one has the time to talk like that anymore! LOL! but hey, its nevertheless quite a fantasy to have such things in your head. A world so magical.

No comments: